What frequently makes living in the present moment uncomfortable is that we often feel like it comes with a huge amount of uncertainty. In fact, some of you may have read this article’s title and said, “Hell no! I am not okay with uncertainty!” I get it, and that’s why I’m writing about uncertainty today.
You’re not alone in disliking uncertainty. When I think about uncertainty, I get a pit in my belly. All of these questions and more can come up when a person thinks about uncertainty in life:
- What will the future bring?
- What will life bring me?
- Will I like my new school that I committed to?
- Will our team win the game?
- Will I get the job I interviewed for?
- Will I end up marrying this person?
- Will I be able to lose weight?
- Will this group of friends accept me?
- Will the evening go as I expected?
These are all questions about the future, and they’re questions that most of us FEAR. Here’s what I want you to understand about fear:
F.E.A.R. = False Evidence Appearing Real
Write that one down and store it in your pocket! That’s how important it is, because the truth is we really don’t know what will happen in the future. None of us do. The only thing we have control over is the NOW – the PRESENT moment.
5 Ways to Harness the Power of Staying in the NOW
Understanding that we all struggle with living in the present, I guide my clients on the power of staying in the NOW. How do you do it? The answer is by following the five keys below:
1. Have Gratitude for the Present Moment
Whether or not you’re having a sh..tty day, find one thing you’re grateful for at the present moment. Acknowledge it and give it the time it deserves.
2. Give Yourself Permission to FEEL Instead of Running from the Present Emotion
Are you angry today? Sad? Happy? Annoyed? Elated? Feel and acknowledge that emotion, and then, move on. Yes, it may come back over and over again, but that’s what emotions are all about – to teach and guide us to feeling. Remember to respond instead of react!
3. Know that EXPECTING Causes FEAR and Having a VISION Causes FREEDOM
Once you start to EXPECT an outcome, you’re setting yourself up for FEAR. What if the outcome doesn’t meet your expectation? The truth is, we can’t expect anything. We can have a VISION though, and that vision can lead to FREEDOM. Let’s put this into perspective with a few examples:
- I EXPECT to get an A on this test I have a VISION of receiving an A on my exam.
- I EXPECT my husband to ask to do the dishes I have a VISION of my husband doing the dishes.
- I EXPECT my boss to give me a raise I have a VISION of receiving a raise.
Having a vision leads to a positive intention. It’s just much softer than expecting, and it allows you to move freely towards something that is nourishing rather than depleting.
4. Take SHOULD, WOULD, and COULD OUT of Your Vocabulary
Do any of these sound familiar to you:
- I should have told you how I felt.
- I would have had a good eating week except I totally messed up last night.
- I could have gotten a good grade if I studied harder.
What do these sentences have in common? They’re all about the past. Staying stuck in the past takes you right out of your VISION! You’re no longer in the present.
5. Walk Around with CURIOUSITY
The only way to SHIFT is to be curious. Being curious allows you to explore and experience life. Curiosity takes us out of our limited beliefs and gives us another perspective. Think about these examples:
- I am curious about what it would be like to drink half my body weight in ounces of water each day.
- I am curious about what it would be like if I got to bed at a reasonable hour.
- I am curious about what it would be like to smile at strangers today.
- I am curious about what it would be like to ask for help.
I think you get the picture.
Living in Your Present
You really can live in the present. In this article, I covered just some of the many amazing tools that I work on with my clients to help them stay in the now. They’re all examples of reverting yourself, your mindset, and your individual story to the present moment.
I’m curious what you would feel like if you took on some of these tools. How about you? How would learning to harness the power of staying in the now support the SHIFT in your life?
If you’re ready to take the next step in learning about your health, nutrition, and the Simple Clean and Whole lifestyle so you can live in the present and make your own SHIFT, let’s work together